spellquizzer

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Economics learning

I don't know if you're aware of this, but using your debit card is actually more secure than writing a check for bills and purchases. This is especially true if you write something like "Ask for ID" on the back instead of signing your name. I really don't mind showing my ID at places that ask for it. That tells me that the business is aware of identity theft and is at least trying to protect their customers.

Another advantage to using your debit card is that you can download your transactions daily and enter them into your checking journal or let them be added to your money program, whatever one you use. I use Microsoft Money and I really like the financial reporting it gives me. It shows a pie chart of where my money has been spent, which helps me to sometimes reduce some expenses, when I see where my money has gone. It also shows me what percentage of my spending is on the various bills, groceries, and other purchases so I can stay in line with my regular budget.

Teaching your children to maintain control of their own budgets, even if it's small, is vital to their training and will help them all through adulthood. Using a money program to which each of them can sign in, or using a ledger book, helps them see where their money goes. Incorporate pie charts, bar charts, and percentage lessons, and they really get a clear picture.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home