spellquizzer

Friday, July 11, 2008

World Book

When we first began homeschooling, we were pretty much broke. That meant that I had to find all the resources I could for free or at a very low cost. I scoured places like the library book sales, yard sales, and flea markets for everything I could think of that would help us in our homeschool.

One thing that I bought, dirt cheap, was an old World Book encyclopedia set. It was great, even though it was probably 30 years out of date. See, at the end of the larger articles are questions to be answered about the article. Those questions often served me as a guideline for lesson plans and even for short quizzes. The questions were also often thought-provoking, which led to some great discussions. Some things never change, no matter how old the information may be, so don't discount old resources!

Along with that ancient resource, I also sent for a "kit" that had some activity books and a typical course of study or what your nth grader should be learning each year. The kit also had a brochure that gave you levels of childhood development and what kinds of things children are capable of at different ages.

I wasn't on the internet in those early days, but I was able to borrow internet from my grown daughter, who gladly looked things up for me online and printed things out for me. The World Book website is one place I started with, and you might also find it interesting to peruse.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home