spellquizzer

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Using technology for free

To kick-start your home classroom that uses laptops or netbooks, take a look at Free Technology for Teachers. This is a blog created by a teacher. He gives you lots of wonderful tech resources to use free of charge. And who doesn't like "free"?

The May 13 post about math class is really worth looking at and will give you come outside-the-box ideas for use in your homeschool math class. I liked it because too many math courses are bland and have nothing to do with the real world. For instance, I preferred that my kids understand what goes into their credit score more than trying to solve some unrealistic problem on paper - a problem that is completely irrelevant to the real world they would find themselves in when they grew up.

My objective in homeschool math was to teach them to think logically. I wanted them to learn how to problem solve from scratch, not just from formulas. In other words, I wanted them to discover the formulas! That way, it would be cemented into their flow of thought as opposed to memorized formulas that were remembered only until the next quiz.

Technorati Tags:

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home