spellquizzer

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Crazy spring and summer

It has been awhile since I've posted anything, I know. Well, it's been a crazy spring around here -- tornadoes, floods, chilly weather, then blistering heat. It's been about enough to do anyone in. But, I just want to say I'm back and will be posting more regularly from now on.

In light of that, let me share some things with you all. We got some rabbits and quails that we are raising now. They are doing well and growing. The quails are even laying eggs. We use them just like regular eggs, except they are tiny so it takes more of them. I think it takes 4 quail eggs to equal one chicken egg. We are getting about 35 eggs a week from them, so that's really working out pretty good.

They are interesting birds. We have three kinds -- Jumbo Brown Couturnix, Manchurian Gold, and Texas A&M White. The Jumbo Brown lay larger eggs and have very calm dispositions. I'll probably eventually switch to only raising those kind since the others behave like wild birds every time you approach the cages.

Later on, we'll hatch quail eggs and raise more so we can have more egg production plus meat for the freezer.

The rabbits are New Zealand variety with one being the familiar white with pink eyes, one brown with brown eyes, and one black with brown eyes. We'll begin breeding them soon. Then we'll sell the bunnies for pets and have some for meat for ourselves. I know some of you are cringing now.

 

Technorati Tags: ,

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home